Friday, August 10, 2012

Friday at the Movies - Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog


This weekend I will be travelling to and from MA, so I don't suspect I'll have much time for writing or watching movies. That being said, I just watched Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog again and figured I'd do a short post about it.


First, it's amazing. I do not like musicals (or, really, music in general), but I really enjoy the songs in these webisodes and the story throughout. The main actors, Neil Patrick Harris (Dr. Horrible), Felicia Day (Penny), and Nathan Fillion (Captain Hammer) are phenomenal and can all sing MUCH better than I'd have given them credit for.

While he doesn't sing, Simon Helberg (Howard in Big Bang Theory) is also in a few scenes as Moist, Dr. Horrible's friend (and henchman/sidekick? It's not touched on much). The series was written by Joss Whedon, his two brothers, and his sister-in-law. So it has credentials all across the board.

A very short description: It is a tragicomedy in which Dr. Horrible video blogs about his attempts to simultaneously join the Evil League of Evil and win the girl of his dreams, while being thwarted on both fronts by his arch-nemesis, Captain Hammer.

The three webisodes combined are only 42 minutes long, which in my opinion is the worst part about it -- I wish they were much, much longer. Fortunately, the sequel is being worked on. I've seen conflicting reports as to how far along it is, but I understand that the actors are all busy with their careers and the original was made during the Writer's Strike, so there is some holdup there.

You can see the entire "mini-series" on Netflix or on YouTube (linked below):
Act 1
Act 2
Act 3

Also, someone made an 8-Bit "Video Game" version of the movie:
Act 1 Part 1 (link to rest in video's description)


I had the soundtrack playing in my office all day yesterday -- it was a good day.

Other works you should look into for:

Neil Patrick Harris - How I Met Your Mother (Netflix)

Felicia Day - The Guild (Netflix/YouTube)

Nathan Fillion - Firefly (Netflix - if you don't already own it, which you should)


No comments:

Post a Comment