Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Halo 4 vs. Black Ops 2: First Impressions

Alrighty, if this title doesn't cause some waves, I don't know what will!

First, my favorite genre of game is Strategy RPG. Not FPS. In recent years, however, I have come to enjoy the FPS genre due to being able to play with and against friends.

My first Halo was 3 and my first CoD was Modern Warfare 2. I've since played every Halo (multiplayer) and every CoD since 4 (again, multiplayer).

I prefer CoD. In Halo, there are several things I don't like, though the biggest issue I have is that there are a specific set of skills you need to have to be good at the game. There IS a wrong way to eat a Reese's, if you're a Spartan super soldier. I'm not particularly good at it, and so dislike Halo in general.

CoD, I can always run and gun and do ok. I can also play smarter and do better, or play wildly differently just because. I believe this is because of the class customization that Halo, as a rule, lacks. I don't WANT to have to hunt down power weapons on a map. I want to find a weapon I like, start with it, and use it as much as a want.

Also, I want to be able to get a lucky twitch/panic kill.

Ok, so you know my standpoint and I'm NOT entering this first impression as an impartial mediator.

Here goes!

Halo 4, so far, has been my favorite Halo yet. It still plays VERY much like Halo, though there are key differences that make it appealing to me:

-Everyone has a sprint ability, meaning matches are faster (or at least action happens faster).
Red vs Blue
-They've introduced a minor loadout feature. I can't start with any weapon I want, but I can at least choose from a small selection.
-The armor abilities seem to be done right in this version.
-Power weapon spawns are randomized, which means no more issues of getting ruins by the guy who knows where everything is and when it will respawn.
-Players can now call in Ordinance after getting enough points, allowing them to gain access to better weapons on their own terms.

There are only two cons for me:

-They brought back my least favorite map, Valhalla (now known as Ragnarok), AND it is the map voted for most, as far as I can tell.
-It still plays like Halo, which I've never spent enough time with to get better.

That being said, my first impression has been very positive. The new weapons are nice enough, the new walker units are awesome, and it's a damn pretty game, I just need to get better with the franchise before I sign up as a part of the fan base.



Black Ops 2 changes up things just enough that I'm not bitter about another CoD release. I'm not sure yet if it's my favorite CoD, but I do enjoy the changes:

-The "Pick 10" system allows MUCH more versatility when creating a class, which is awesome.
-The guns, so far, feel pretty good. There are definitely some guns that seem a bit overpowered, but all in all it hasn't been awful.
One second later, everyone is dead. Everyone.
-I enjoy the maps. I don't have a favorite, but I don't HATE any yet, which was usually the case with past games.
-Matches seem faster than ever, though not in a way to be distressing.
-Leveling is done right - guns gain attachments the more kills you get them and you gain options to unlock as you level up, weather it is a new perk or weapon you decide to choose.
-The emblem editor is back, and more versatile than ever.
-Scoresteaks replace killstreaks, they're a touch harder to get, AND the rewards are pretty diverse.

There are a few things I have issues with, however:

-It feels as if you die MUCH faster (less bullets to kill) in this game than past renditions.
-Lag is still an issue.
-Knifing has been nerfed to the point of being almost useless, which was my favorite thing from MW2 and, to an extent, Black Ops.
-Level progression is a touch slow in regards to netting the perks and weapons I actually WANT.
-There is no infinite sprint, which I personally find to be a weakness, especially since there is no knife lunge.

That being said, I have REALLY enjoyed playing Black Ops 2. Some of my issues with potentially be patched, so the future is promising as well. Online, I've seen a lot of hate for Black Ops 2, especially when compared to earlier games, but I think I'm enjoying it at least as much as any other CoD during launch, if not a little bit more due to my anticipating unlocking more weapons and perks.

Overall, I'm enjoying Black Ops 2 MORE than Halo 4, but that is to be expected. I've always liked the faster gameplay and greater access to weapons. That being said, Halo 4 easily outpaces Black Ops 2 when it comes to improvements over past titles, as well as having a more favorable first impression overall.

Halo, while faster than past games, is still a slower, slightly more tactical game. The tactics generally come down to the best position, the best weapons, and the best aim. It takes practice and can put off new players playing against veterans -- it's painfully obvious when I run up against someone who knows what they're doing.

CoD is also a bit faster this time around, though this is due to all the maps being on the smaller side and having nooks and crannies and detours every four feet. If you don't keep moving, someone WILL be behind you in just a moment. Whoever shoots first usually wins, it's up to you to make sure you've got the jump on your opponent.

If I ever bother to play the campaigns, I may do a further comparison. For now, I'm happy with both titles and look forward to playing with folks soon.

Anyone else have any thoughts on great things for either title that I missed?

No comments:

Post a Comment