Monday, May 5, 2014

A(nother) Negative Review of The Amazing Spider-Man 2

This doesn't look good. And I'm talking quality, not quantity.
I saw TASM2 last Thursday with some friends. Personally, I went in with low expectations. Every commercial for the film made me feel worse and worse. Learning Electro's origin ahead of time really set the bar low. Seeing an early screen cap of the new Green Goblin made me cringe.

So I went in without much hope. The movie wasn't going to look good and it was very clear that there would be little-to-know faithfulness to the comics. That last bit isn't necessarily the most important trait for a comic book movie, but it matters to me. Especially when the series is one I've loved since I could read.

Even with the bar set so low, I was disappointed. The only item that surprised me was that I actually liked the new look of Spidey's costume -- it looked more realistic than ever before, especially while it was in motion. Most of the pre-release images made it look like CGI rubbish -- turns out, it was the best part of the movie for me. I loved the way the costume bunched up and moved with the wind. I'd take two hours of web-swinging over most of the rest of the movie.

I'm going to jump into spoilers in a moment. I don't have any real positives to say without spoiling something, so I'll just leave folks up here with my Arbitrary Rating of 3/10. And at least one of those points is because the title had "Spider-Man" somewhere in it... Even though it barely followed a single comic issue or arc.

SPOILERS BELOW THE SPIDER!
Swing away or be spoiled! Majorly!



2 comments:

  1. The one credit I do give to the movie, and it's something I loved about the first one, is the color and cinematography. It has great use of color, and just a real feeling of a comic movie. That, however, doesn't cover of the bizarre change in Harry (I was baffled by his actions at the end, which I felt had zero motivation) and other strange story elements. I also feel the Rhino suit was just, ugh, wtf is this. I didn't mind Electro's motivations and story arc, though you do bring up a good point that the lowly scientist having his ideas stolen is very cliched. Not that you probably care, but there was apparently a shot cut out of the US version of the movie where the severed head of Harry Osborn, Sr. is in one of those "Sinister Six" compartments. So, ah, yeah, wtf.

    And the post credit X-Men scene....I had been REALLY excited since I heard "X-Men give Spidey an assist in post credits scene" in an article headline. But, umm, that? It made no sense? Was that military guy carrying the mutant spider venom in the case? Isn't this Vietnam in the 70's era of Days of Future Past? What does this have to do with Spiderman? Wtf is Mystique doing? Why were there so many quick cuts without ever explaining or showing what we were seeing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on the color (which surprised me) and that they had a lot of nice shots. And I even liked Spidey in the Spidey suit, both in looks and action.

      The after the credits scene was an advertisement for Days of Future Past. A hastily cut one that made me less excited for the movie. Apparently this was due to a director conflict -- the guy could work on Spider-Man with Sony if he included the add from X-Men (Fox). Which makes me kind of angry. There is absolutely no loyalty to telling a good, coherent story. Instead, it's all about the money. Sure, that's pretty much a constant in the US, but stay away from my comic characters.

      Delete