Friday, August 24, 2012

Answering the Question: Doctor Who? (Part 2)

This is the continuation of the "Why you should get a Doctor" post. If you need to brush up, the first post is the introduction, anything following functions as a mini-review.




I have finished inundating the Wife to season 2 of Doctor Who. It is the continuation of the Doctor and Rose's journey through time, space, and possibly an alternate dimension or two.

Mild spoilers follow, but nothing you couldn't tell from looking at the cover of the season.

The end of last season left us with a new Doctor. Same man, different face and mannerism. At first Rose is upset at the changes she sees, but before long their relationship grows to become stronger than ever.

This season is particularly strong because of the new Doctor -- he steals the show. Also, there are a lot of particularly memorable episodes:

School Reunion: We meet someone from the Doctor's past (as in, the seasons before Chris Eccleston). Don't worry, they explain everything -- Rose, per usual, is our medium.

Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel: Like the Daleks, the Cybermen are enemies out of the Doctor's past. They are found in a different dimension, which is the first time we've seen that in this series of Doctor Who.

The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit: This is just a really interesting, two-part episode. Want to know where the idea and images of Satan come from? This might be the episode for you.

Army of Ghosts/Doomsday: The end of the season, and you really don't want to miss it! I won't spoil it, but it is one of the more emotional episodes we've seen.

The best part of this season is the relationship between the Doctor and Rose. If you're looking for a romance story line, this is it, and it is something other seasons tend to lack.

The Wife: "I want my Doctor back!"

She still hasn't gotten over the change in actors, from Chris Eccleston to David Tennant. I'm more of a Tennant fan myself, so I struggle with Matt Smith, the current Doctor. That being said, we've started the third season and I will continue with my mini-review then.

Ratings so far (since I haven't yet):

Season One: 7/10. It's awesome, but it does lose some points for being a bit campy and having some episodes that fall flat.

Season Two: 7/10. I personally like this season more, but there are also more episodes that fall flat and are fairly uninteresting.

Note: I am rating these seasons as a relative scale for Doctor Who seasons. As a series, Doctor Who a 9/10 for me,. It literally has everything (or the potential for everything), the writing as a rule is phenomenal, and you really do anticipate the next episode/season almost the entire time. But I strongly feel some seasons are stronger than others.

If you weren't hooked by the first season, the second season my be more for you: David Tennant as the Doctor makes the show that much different.

No comments:

Post a Comment