Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Hunting Game(s): Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Below is the multiplayer trailer and my response to it!



First, I must say that this trailer has gotten me excited in a CoD game again. I know it's silly, seeing as how it's so short, but I've haven't really been interested in any of the previous releases (my first, to be honest, was MW2, and I picked it up only due to peer pressure -- and I'm glad I gave in).

My favorite thing throughout the video is the post apocalyptic looking art style. It almost reminds me of Brink with CoD graphics at times (and that's all I'll say about Brink, I promise!). It's a fresh look from the standard soldier, and is nice for people like me who don't care for accuracy or complete realism.

Dolphin diving is back. Can't say how useful it will be, but it looks damn cool and adds some flair to CTF.

I don't know how I feel about the Dragonfires (remote controlled drones). Depends how easy they are to get, I suppose, though they do look relatively easy to destory.

SHIELDS! YES! I know they are terrible in MW2, but I remember doing lobbies with friends and just having shield matches! Every now and then I'd try running them in multiplayer, but it was mostly just for laughs. These shields actually look interesting and I'm interested to see what kind of teamwork options they promote in a mostly lone-wolf style of game. And I'm pretty sure they shields are able to be planted and used as mobile cover -- this could have some interesting combos with the Wildcard system I've heard about, which includes one option to equip two primary weapons.

The remote controlled tank of doom doesn't interest me, but I didn't care for it in MW3, either.

Running animation looks MUCH improved, even if knifing looks like it requires you to be closer than ever. I won't be running any MLC variants (explained below in MW2 section), apparently, but that's probably for the best.

Shotguns look more overpowered than ever, which doesn't interest me.

All in all, I'm hoping to see some new (and new feeling) guns as well as some futuristic equipment -- hopefully more than just the few items shown in the trailer.

This YouTube Channel seems to have some good information on BOII and I'll be following up on that soon.

Final comment: I'll be picking this up on release, expect to see a first impression around then!


Other CoDs I've played:

CoD: 4 (MW1) I didn't enjoy much when I got around to playing it, but I did love the map Shipment.

WaW: I didn't play this one too seriously so I can't say much about it. I liked a few of the maps and would like to see them make it to other games. This and MW2 are the only campaigns I finished, so that's unique I suppose.

MW2 allowed you to make an over-powered knifing class (Marathon Pro, Lightweight Pro, and Commando Pro with a handgun/tac knife combo). Also had Favela, my favorite CoD map to date.

Black Ops was interesting because of the different game types that were instituted. Oh, and Dolphin Diving. Also, my favorite maps for CTF.

MW3 was interesting because of the updated graphics and some of the maps were interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment